Applications for the 2009 scholarships will open on Monday 15 September
2008. The closing date for applications is Friday 31st October 2008.
RMIT University is committed to world-class research that is practical,
applied and valuable. The University is committed to attracting top
research students into its key areas of expertise. Priority for
scholarships will be given to students conducting their research in one
of these identified RMIT research concentration areas.
RUIRS 2009 awards are awarded to international postgraduate research students with excellent academic performance.
Important: All applicants wishing to apply for an RMIT University
International Research Scholarship 2009 must have received an offer
letter for an RMIT postgraduate by research program. To apply for
admission into a program please visit
RMIT University International Research Scholarships (RUIRS) will be awarded to:
new international postgraduate research students, intending to enrol in Semester 1 or Semester 2, 2009
Applicants must possess excellent academic results.
Applicants who are citizens of all overseas countries, except New Zealand are eligible.
Applicants must be commencing full-time enrolment in a Higher Degree by
Research (HDR) program in Australia in 2009 at RMIT University. The
approved program duration is two years for a Masters by Research degree
or three years for a Doctorate by Research degree.
RUIRS 2009 awardees must commence their studies in Australia in 2009
at RMIT University by 30th August 2009. The RUIRS 2009 award cannot be
deferred to another year. If a candidate is unable to take up a RUIRS
award, the candidate must apply again for the award in the following
Applicants must have received a Firm Offer or Conditional Offer of a
place for entry in a Higher Degree Research (HDR) program at RMIT
University, to commence in Semester 1 or Semester 2, 2009. The offers
must be granted no later than 31st October 2008.
Applicants who are applying for or have received external funding for
tuition and/or living allowance are eligible to apply. The allocation
of the tuition fee and living allowance for RUIRS 2009 is at the
discretion of RMIT University and will be determined by the value of
external allowances. Please provide details of the sponsorship
arrangement and evidence of the funding and duration. RMIT University
must receive the evidence by the closing date, 31st October 2008.
English language requirements
Applicants must provide evidence of English language proficiency prior to 31st October 2008.
As a guide, RMIT University requires the following English language requirements for entry into research programs:
* IELTS – 6.5+ (no band less than 6.0)
* TOEFL – Paper based = 580+ (TWE4.5+)
* TOEFL – Computer based = 237+ (TWE4.5+)
* REW – English for Academic Purposes Advanced 2
The IELTS/TOEFL/RMIT English test result must be current or have
been taken no more than 2 years before the commencement of the research program.
Note: Some programs have higher English language requirements
The following students cannot apply for the RUIRS 2009 award:
Currently enrolled RMIT University students in a Research Masters Program or Doctoral Program.
Value of RUIRS 2009 Award
RMIT University will provide:
* The annual tuition fees in a Higher Degree by Research (HDR)
program undertaken at RMIT University, in a program included on the
Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students
(CRICOS) for the standard duration of the program.
* The cost of a standard Overseas Student Health Cover policy
approved by the Commonwealth Government Department of Health and Ageing
and which covers the student and dependants for the period of the RUIRS
* A living allowance for successful candidates of the RUIRS 2009 for
the standard duration of the program. As a guide, RMIT University
recipients of the RUIRS 2008 were awarded a living allowance of
approximately AUD$19,000 per annum for the standard duration of the
program – two years for a Masters by Research degree or three years for
a Doctorate by Research degree.
The RUIRS award does not provide for travel, medical costs
associated with the issue or renewal of a student visa, thesis
expenses, cost of English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas
Students (ELICOS), or costs associated with overseas fieldwork.
Students must be undertaking study in a subject area identified by RMIT
University as one of its areas of research concentration. RMIT
University has identified the following as their research
concentrations for 2009.
Science, Engineering and Technology Portfolio
* Advanced Industrial Informatics
* System Modeling & Optimization
* Advanced Materials
* Traditional & Complementary Medicine
* Metabolic Diseases
* Biomedical Electronics
* Interfaces Soft Condensed Matter & Nano Structures
* Environmental Change
* Aero, Auto Design
* Geospatial Science
* Accountability, Governance and Regulation of Business Organisations
* Economics; Finance; Marketing
* Systems, Models, Management and Technology for the Digital World
* Creation and Design, Performance, Governance and Sustainability of Organisations
* Logistics and Supply Chain Systems and Management
Design and Social Context
* Urban Sustainability
* Design in the Built Environment
* Visual Arts and Media
* Teaching and Learning
Duration of The RUIRS 2009 Award
The RUIRS 2009 award will cover the normal duration of the program from
the time the student commences the HDR degree at RMIT University. The
normal duration of an RUIRS is three years for Research Doctorate
degrees and two years for Research Masters degrees.
The duration of an RUIRS will be reduced in the following situations:
* During suspension of the RUIRS award.
* If a student is transferring from another institution.
If an RUIRS awardee transfers to another institution, the funding for the RUIRS award will cease.
How to apply
Applications for the 2009 scholarships will open on Monday 15th September 2008.
Closing date: Complete submissions must be received by 5.00 pm Eastern Standard Time, Friday 31st October 2008. Late applications or late submission of documentation will NOT be considered.
Applicants wishing to be considered for a RUIRS 2009 award must
apply online here. (Please note the online application facility will
not be available until Monday 15th September).
The following documents must be submitted (these can be uploaded
through the online application form or sent directly to our office –
* A copy of your offer letter from RMIT University
* Two Academic Referee Reports (Faxed and emailed copies of Academic
Referee Reports will not be accepted) Please download the Academic
Referee Report Form here.
* Official certified copies of all academic transcripts, including a
university explanation of the grading system. Copies should be provided
in both English and the original language (where applicable)
* Certified copy of graduation certificate
* Evidence of English language proficiency
* Research proposal outlining the objective, methodology and expected outcomes (no less than 200 words)
* Statement indicating why you wish to undertake this research
* Resume (Curriculum Vitae)
* Evidence of your employment history on company letterhead (if applicable)
* Copy of any relevant publications, unpublished thesis or essays you have completed (if applicable)
* Letter from scholarship provider (if applicable)
For all correspondence on the above please contact:
International Scholarships Office
International and Development Portfolio
Building 108, Level 4, 239 Bourke Street
Melbourne, Victoria 3000, Australia
Tel: (+61 3) 9925 5135
Fax: (+61 3) 9663 6925
Email: ISscholarships[ at ]rmit.edu.au
Via: official announcement